Monday, January 28, 2019

Meet Theadora, a sweet, spicy Seventy's girl!

I'm not sure when, but I came to the conclusion that I wanted a just like me doll.  Actually first I wanted to get an Addy doll.  It never worked out for me to find one for the right price, and in the right condition. As I spent time with Zuri identifying dollst I started to realize that AGD had a variety of skin tones and hair textures/styles for the mold.  I came to the conclusion, that although I feel strong ties to the story Addy Walker shares, a different doll would be a better representation of me. 
After reviewing the various face molds, and hair offerings for the Truly me dolls offered through the years (a custom is not an option for me), I decided #58 matched me the closest.  I bid on her and won the auction at the end of December.
She didn't arrive until the middle of January!  I was rather upset, nevertheless, when she arrived, it was doll love at first sight!
She did however have a flaw.  She had a "tattoo", of unknown (probably permanent marker) origin.
I first wiped her body down, but there wasn't really any significant surface dirt.  I tried a q-tip of rubbing alcohol, and then fingernail polish remover to see if the mark was on the surface.  Sadly, it wasn't.  Then I paid some attention to her hair.  There were just a few of her curls that were not aligned properly.  I carefully picked then and retwisted all of her curls to smooth out those curls and any frizzies.
For below the surface spots on AGD "skin" I had seen online that the recommendation to us benzol peroxide and place it under saran wrap, then expose it to the sun.  The weather wasn't cooperating the days I tried.  I hardly saw a any change at all.  A forum member on www.Ravelry.com mentioned that LED lights as well as daylight lights also work.  I have a few dollar tree LED lamps in my studio, so I set up Theadora with a spa therapy for her scar.  It took a few days, of changing to fresh moist Oxy, and making sure the light was positioned only over the spot on her arm.  Eventually it mostly bleached/faded away.  (See, actually under the lamp, the reduction of stain was pretty quick!)

She still has a faint stain, but I think it just gives her character.  I may try one day to treat it again, but for now I am pleased with the outcome.
Theadora is such a cute doll.  She has such pretty curls, she sports a little afro!  I had gotten this outfit when I purchased my Ivy, and I know it's Julie's meet outfit, but it is perfect for Theadora.  Julie and Ivy's story is from my birth year.  I can remember as a child wearing this type of style of clothing, from the wooden clog sandals to the shirt over a long sleeve shirt, and bell bottom pants.







Theadora, is like me, she needs glasses to see things that are far away.  And I made her a little ring as well.
She makes the perfect big sister for Buttercup.
Of course Buttercup wants to be just like her big sister Theadora, and wear glasses too!

No comments:

Post a Comment